Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Tuscola to Richmond IN to Marysville OH

Sunset after dinner in Richmond OH

Titanium tubeset for a Roark bike.

Didn't have time to post yesterday.

Did 120 miles to Richmond and then 105 to Marysville. Weather was good. Had big tailwinds to Marysville so made it here by 1 pm. Got a little warm in afternoon though.

My body was a little frazzled yesterday after that big finish to Tescola with George. My lower left back was tight and my right hamstring was hurting a bit the morning to Richmond.

But today to Marysville, I felt fine. So I took it pretty easy today and that was easy to do since we had 15-20 mph tailwinds most of the day. One rider decided he wanted to get a PR for a century. He did. He did a 4:30 century. In my mind though its a bit meaningless because the wind plays such a big factor.

Two riders had serious mechanical problems today. One had a failed freehub; he could turn the pedals but the rear wheel wouldn't move. Another rider sheared his cranks clean off! That could have been disastrous. But it failed when when we has pedaling easy. If it had happened when he was really pushing and or at high speed he could have been seriously injured.

We've been chased by a number of dogs. Sometimes I don't have it in my legs to out run them. So I take my water bottle and squirt it in their face and that seems to startle them and they back off.

I changed my rear tire yesterday. The old one had about 2600 miles on it and the tread markers were showing. The front tire still looks great.

We took a tour of the Roark bicycle shop. They are actually an aerospace machine shop but employ several cycling enthusiasts who manufacture phenomenal titanium bike frames. Pretty hefty price tag too, About $4,000 for a standard classic frame. But boy do they know their materials and craftsmanship.

Dinner in Richmond. Left to right: George, Joe, me, Ralph, Richard, Jan, Max, Gary and Eric.

We had a great Italian pasta dinner in Richmond and saw a great sunset.

I got another care package from Andrea and Terry with some organic raisons, foot and skin products and other goodies. I also got a nice card from Suanne. I've been getting a nice card from Sandy at every hotel too!

Had a Starbucks for the fist time since Balmy Springs. Saw it as I came into Marysville. Gary and I finally beat Ralph and Eric at 9-5s today.
Tomorrow has some steeper gradients in it. About 4000 feet of climbing. So should be a longer day.

I took a little video of myself while riding and some of Barry who was just ahead of me for several miles after lunch SAG.

Phillipe and me crossing Ohio state line.

Meeting manager/owner of Roark
Barry riding ahead of me to Marysville OH
Care package from Andrea and Terry
Dan's broken cranks
Bikes at Roark

6 comments:

  1. That was incredible time for today. Hope the good weather holds. Save some energy for the final push. You have rolled up an enviable mountain of miles. Hang in there.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some rain today but good temps and light tailwinds

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you ride your dream...keep the faith Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Babe,
    I am proud of you of course and I am so ready for you to be done. I have missed you deeply even as I have celebrated your accomplishment. It is truly amazing. I look forward to seeing your face soon. Pace yourself, the end is insight and they make sure you have plenty of climbing. love sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you too. Can't wait to meet you at the finish. This is the longest we've been apart since we were in college. Let's try to Skype tonight.

    ReplyDelete