Saturday, May 18, 2013

Wooster to Warren OH

Did 98 miles today from Wooster to Warren Ohio.

It was sunny and nice temps at the start. But, about 10 miles into the ride, it got really, really foggy. I seriously considered pulling off the road for a while because I was starting to feel uncomfortable with how foggy it was. I couldn't see anything because my glasses kept fogging up. Then, it occurred to me..."take your damn glasses off, stupid." Its pretty amazing how fatigue can make you stupid! Then I could see again! It was still pretty foggy and I was concerned about traffic being able to see me. We didn't see the sun until after about 3 hours of riding.

We had some slightly longer climbs today but still a lot of up and down rollers too. My energy levels were still below normal early in the ride. I was actually feeling hungry when I got to the lunch stop. Ordinarily, I never feel hungry during a ride. I ate a lot; a PB&J sandwich, a ham and cheese sandwich, two cokes, a reese's peanut butter cup, a snickers bar, a banana and two pickles. Then, I had more energy later in the ride and started feeling my normal self again.

Here is the Fab 4 plus Jim (far left) and Phil (next to Jim) at the lunch SAG...



I got into Warren about 2:30pm and went straight to a Taco Bell for 3 tacos. Had a very nice chat with a local woman who is a teacher here. Another guy eating there asked to take a picture of my bike because he just couldn't believe anyone was riding such an antique ;)

I've already had one dinner. At Outback Steakhouse, I had a ceasar salad and a salmon filet with broccoli. It was good but not filling enough. Went to Chipotle for my second dinner. While on the phone with Sandy, I felt my energy levels just plummet and felt like I might be getting a head cold.
So, instead of participating in the T-shirt trade, I went straight to my room.






Thats Tim. He won the shirt I brought from Davis. He is 57 and he and I have ridden many miles together; last 30 into Blythe, last 50 into Topeka and last 50 into Dunkirk.

I had to change out my front wheel tube. It was an old tube, maybe 4 years, and it was a Schrader valve and just wasn't holding pressure with a darn. I would inflate to 90 psi in the morning and by the time I got it, it would be below 60. Since I have had so few flats since switching to Specialized Armadillo tires, I guess I've sort of forgotten how old my tubes are and have been riding with the same old spare tube for a couple of years now. That isn't good. So, I got a new tube in Wooster and put it on in Warren and things are back to normal there.

Saw some more flowers that reminded me of my wonderful wife...



I got another care package from my Mom. I don't have any pictures of it because it was all gone 20 minutes after I opened it. It was Chocolate Chip cake. I had a piece along with my rooomate, Richard, and then I shared it with everyone at the T-shirt swap. You can see Floris, the Netherlends rider, having a piece in this picture...


Floris said he loved it! Here is some video from the end if the swap and people eating the cake.

We got to bed a bit earlier before heading out for the big 140 miler to Dunkirk, NY.

Poor Phillipe had to buy himself a whole new bike in Warren. His carbon Fuji was just falling apart on him. He had to replace both wheels in the first 150 miles of days 1 & 2. He has had a problem with the bottom bracket bearings going bad for several days now and it was becoming problematic to pedal. To save manufacturing costs, manufacturers are building bikes with bearings that are 'special' to each bottom bracket. They are impossible to service in the field because you have to match bearing sets to bottom brackets and cranks. Phillipe bought himself a Trek Madone 5.2. Thats probably a $2,500.00 bike. He then moved the saddle, pedals and handlebars from his old bike onto the new bike. But, would you believe, before leaving the parking lot in Warren heading for Dunkirk, he had a flat tire? To add insult to injury, his Garmin computer apparently sent him in the wrong direction shortly after leaving Warren and he was lost and off-route the entire day. Phillipe has not had very much luck. But, he has a can-do attitude and continues to stay positive and enjoy himself.

I made another video from behind the bars

4 comments:

  1. That bike, like my love for you and yours for me, has been reliable and has taken you across the country. That is amazing!!!! I just miss you something awful but I am so excited. love you much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's a nice analogy babe. I've had the bike just a little longer than I have known you. Remember that first Double century I did? When I got done you remember how my behind looked? My bike isn't the only thing made of steel eh? I luv u 2

      Delete
  2. That menu for lunch sounded more like what a pregnant woman would eat!! Funny. LOVED the videos especially the one that showed conversations among the riders. We have to find a way to bronze the Centurion. It's like a good dog, loyal, ready to go when you are, and willing to run through any kind of weather.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mom. Yeah that was a lot of food ;) Can't be doin that much longer

      The Centurion has been a good bike. It was reviewed as one the best bikes of the 80's.

      Delete